Vacancy Notice No. Zim/2016:01 Nutrition Specialist -NOC Level (Fixed Term Post)
Harare | Harare
Purpose of the Job:
Under the overall supervision of the Nutrition Manager, the Nutrition Specialist supports the development and preparation of the nutrition (or a sector of) programs/projects and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting of progress of the nutrition programs/projects within the country program. The Nutrition Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results in maternal, infant and child nutrition programs/projects according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, standards of performance and accountability framework.
- Contribute to/support the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis for the nutrition sector/s to ensure timely comprehensive and current data on maternal and child nutrition are available to guide policy and development, design and management of nutrition programs/projects. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery.
- Participate in strategic program discussion on the planning of nutrition programs/projects. Formulate, design and prepare a sector of the nutrition programs/projects proposal, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and Country Program and coherence/integration with UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans for the sector/s based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for program review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector in nutrition programs.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programs/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular/mandated program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on nutrition and related issues to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in discussions with national partners/clients/stakeholders to promote nutrition and development issues especially in the areas of emergency preparedness and maternal, newborn and child survival and development.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives program development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with nutrition sector government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity and exchange knowledge/expertise to facilitate the achievement of program goals and social justice and equity for the rights of mothers, newborn and children.
- Prepare communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for nutrition programs (maternal, newborn and child survival and development).
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on nutrition and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of nutrition programs/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting.
- Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best and cutting edge practices in nutrition management and information systems. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health related programs/projects.
- Support MOH, nutrition section for planning, implementing and monitoring the multi-sectoral community based model approach to reduce stunting in Zimbabwe.
- Support SUN movement in partnership with FNC and other stakeholders.
- Support planning implementation and monitoring of nutrition gaols reflected in ZUNDAF.
- Support coordination of Nutrition Sector as Secretariat of the National Nutrition technical working group.
An Advanced University Degree or higher in Community Nutrition, Nutrition, Public health, Nutritional Epidemiology, Global/international health and nutrition, Health/nutrition research, Policy and/or management, or other health related science field is required.
A minimum of five years of professional experience in nutrition, public health, related research or planning and management in relevant areas of maternal, infant and child nutrition, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required.
Relevant experience in health/nutrition program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
A very good knowledge of Smart survey, nutrition survey, nutrition assessment and studies.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Core Competencies: Communication, Drive for results and Working with people
Functional Competencies: Leading and supervising, Formulating strategies and concepts, Analyzing, Relating and networking, Deciding and Initiating action, Applying technical expertise.
If you have experience of working in a similar capacity, meet the above profile and want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children, send your application letter together with resume to the address below. All applications must have a cover letter and a C.V. and applications without cover letters will not be considered. If sending via email quote “**Vacancy Notice No. Zim/2016:01 Nutrition Specialist** NOC Level (Fixed Term Post),” as subject heading. Please email or drop in person by 14 February 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Human Resources Manager
(Vacancy Notice: Zim-2016/01)
UNICEF, 6 Fairbridge Avenue,
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff, and equal opportunities for people living with disabilities. Well qualified candidates, particularly women and people living with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
UNICEF does not charge a fee or require personal banking details at any stage of the recruitment process
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Harare | Harare
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Health service
- Health service
- Health service
- Health service
- Closing Date: 2016-02-14