Program & Policy Officer, R4- Rural Resilience
Dakar | Dakar
TITLE: Program & Policy Officer, R4- Rural Resilience
Duration: fixed term 1 Year
Reports to: R4-Senior Program Officer
*COORDINATES WITH:** R4 Program Advisor in Community Finance Department. As well with the Policy Advisor, Rural Resilience & Markets in Private Sector Department, Oxfam International and Oxfam Affiliates, local authorities, partners, communities, and various vendors and consultants.
Oxfam has partnered with WFP to launch the R4 Rural Resilience Initiative (R4), in Senegal. The progam offers an innovative and comprehensive risk management solution to farmers in order to strengthen their food and income security through a combination of improved resource management (risk reduction), microcredit (“smart” risk taking), risk transfer (insurance), and risk reserves (savings). In Senegal the Saving and Credit components of R4 are managed and implemented by Oxfam while the insurance and Risk Reduction components are managed and implemented by WFP. However the R4 teams of Oxfam and WFP work closely together and to ensure that efforts are coordinated and are planned and implemented with the common objective of R4 in mind. To this effect, regular coordination meetings are held between the two teams and consultations are made before important decisions are made. .
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The Program & Policy Officer will support the Senior Program Officer to oversee implementation of the R4 program and to strengthen OA’s capacity to scale and manage R4 Initiative by playing a role in improving its external relations systems, processes, programs and policies. She/he drives external relations around food security and rural resilience in Senegal to ensure that R4 program and policy, advocacy and influencing goals are realized. The Officer will divide her/his time between program implementation and policy in roughly 70:30 ratio.
· Support R4 Senior Program Officer to enhance the program implementation in Senegal.
· Support the R4 Senior Program officer in managing partners and developing reports and annual plans and budget.
· Support R4 Program Officer and the Institutional Funding Coordinator in the fundraising efforts
· Acquire expertise in Oxfam’s web-based grants management application and assist in development of Grant Application Proposals and management of grants.
· Follow up with local partners on grants and reports per agreement signed.
· Support development of Terms of Reference (ToR) for various project related technical activities and travel, and coordinate field visits for R4 members visiting Dakar
· Undertake period monitoring visits to project sites and to discuss with partners and beneficiaries
· Work closely with WFP country office to make sure the plans and implementation related to policy and program implementation are well coordinated.
· Implement R4 policy influencing and advocacy strategy in Senegal.
· Build and maintain partnership with key CSO leaders and networks in Senegal and engages these individuals and organizations on a regular basis to gather their feedback and inputs to the planning, implementation and tracking of the results of R4 policy and advocacy works.
· Establish and maintain contact with key government institutions and agencies involve in social protection; rural development and climate change
· Contribute to the establishment of protocols and mechanisms that enhance R4 Initiative.
· Oversee, and also directly provide, research of a high quality and policy analysis as outlined in the R4 policy influencing and advocacy strategy in Senegal
· Develop regular briefing and policy updates to share with key stakeholders
· Ensures the cross cutting themes are integrated into the planning, implementation and monitoring of R4 program and policy & advocacy activities
· Contributes to the development of the R4 monitoring, evaluation and learning framework, specifically those related to Policy influencing and advocacy including monitoring, evaluation and learning strategies and systems to effectively capture and communicate results.
· Assembles, interpret and analyze information and reports on various issues related to R4 Development and provide advices and inputs for improvement
· Represents Oxfam and R4 at meetings, functions and events, some may involve long-distance travel in country and outside the country.
· Performs any other reasonable duties and tasks as requested by R4 Initiative in Senegal
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- S/he will master theoretical concepts and become familiar with best practices in microinsurance, disaster risk reduction and climate change risk management involving various approaches (e.g. risk reduction, risk transfer/microinsurance, prudent risk taking, adaptation, livelihoods development and environmental sustainability).
- The incumbent will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- S/he will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam’s mission and Goals.
Education, experience and core competencies:
· A master’s degree or equivalent experience in closely related field;
· Minimum of 5 years field experience in a similar position (policy advocacy/external relations) in the civil society or private sectors preferably in a project/program that involves management of multiple partners
· Knowledge of and experience in advocacy at national levels, specifically Senegal, including the ability to identify key stakeholders and leverage relationships with high level officials;
· Theoretical knowledge and proven practical experience with capacity building issues, including identification of needs, designing and implementing capacity building activities with both local civil society organizations and government representatives;
· Ability to manage multiple tasks in an effective, pro-active and timely manner.
· Excellent written and spoken French and English;
· Previous experience working in Senegal;
· Excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally;
· Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts;
· Astute budgeting, financial management and reporting;
· Excellent communications skills, in both writing and speaking;
· Diplomatic demeanor and ability to engage high level officials;
· Good knowledge of or experience with public institutions in Senegal or other areas of West Africa;
· Highly organized, prompt, detail and deadline oriented.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS 21 February 2016
For more information on this position please visit our website: www.oxfamamerica.org/jobs
To apply, please send cover letter and résumé in ENGLISH to The Hiring Manager (through the website)
Female candidates are strongly recommended to apply
- Organization: Oxfam International
- Location: Dakar | Dakar
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2016-02-21