Communication Specialist, P-4, Islamabad Pakistan
Islamabad | Islamabad
Purpose of the Position
Accountable for developing, managing, co-ordinating, networking, implementing and monitoring a behavioral change and social mobilization strategy, plan of action and programme activities in support of the country programme. This will include C4D, communication and media strategy and associated products and activities on on-going basis with targeted public audiences, with the objective of promoting awareness, understanding, and national and community level support for polio vaccination on a country wide scale. Post is responsible for the development of communications/media strategies in coordination with national and provincial government authorities, assisting them with the implementation of those strategies and in many instances responsible for the independent rollout of targeted information/communications/C4D initiatives throughout the country, relating to specific polio campaigns
Key Expected Results
- Communication strategy
Ensure that the Pakistan Country Office Polio Section has a clear communication strategy and associated work plan to support the polio programme objectives and ensure that the strategy is endorsed by the Government (federal/provincial (EOCs)), UN participating organizations and major supporting donors, to strengthen political will in support of UNICEF's polio mission and objectives.
Duties & Tasks
- Designs, manages, and facilitates the implementation of programme communication strategy, plan of action and activities for strategic communication and promotion for social and behavioural change in support of country programme delivery.
- Develop, maintain and update the country polio communication strategy and associated work plan. Strategy and work plan include: an environmental and stakeholder/partner assessment; objectives; target audiences; messages and media mix; resources; specific actions, activities and products; monitoring and evaluation of impact; success and opportunity for improvement; ongoing refinement of the strategy.
- The Government of Pakistan's is supported in their communications goals and strategies and those strategies are appropriately reflected in the section's communication strategy, work plan and products.
Maintain close collaboration with Regional Communication Advisers and HQ Polio Section for effective overall coordination.
Aligned with the communication strategy, ensure that the Polio Section has a well maintained and continually developed resource base of actively supporting journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc. – and a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to communicate the strategic messaging relative to polio eradication to the various target audiences within Pakistan.
Duties & Tasks
- Promote a full understanding of, respect and support for polio vaccination campaigns by carrying out media, information and education activities in support of Government-lead (EOC)and UNICEF-assisted polio social mobilization and communication activities in the country.
- Develop, maintain and update media relations/vendor contact list/database.
- Establish, document, review and refine process of communicating with media contacts, including press conferences and events, issuing of media materials etc.
- Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media, National Committees, NGOs, the field and other appropriate audiences. In those instances where paid media capabilities are required, the office will have sufficient operational abilities to quickly contract and ensure strategic, targeted and timely messaging is transmitted.
- Identify, develop, distribute and evaluate variety of media materials in multiple, appropriate formats. Ensure or enhance the quality, appropriateness of country specific communication materials, activities, processes and messages transmitted to the press, partners and public.
- Collaborate with mass media through activities such as organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials and share results and findings.
Maintain close collaboration with Regional Communication Advisers and HQ Communication Officers for effective overall coordination.
Networking and Partnerships
Ensure that the Polio Section has develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for promotion of participation in social and behavioral changes supportive of programme goals and has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of individuals, groups, organizations and fora (including Government, UN, and bilateral counterparts), whose support is essential to/can assist in achieving the advocacy and communication objectives of the polio eradication initiative within Pakistan.
Duties & Tasks
- Develops partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
- Promotes and influences behaviour development/change at individual/ household levels, social mobilization of civil society organizations and increased community participation in development programmes.
- Develop, maintain and update partners/vendors contact list/database
- Establish, document, review and refine process of working collaboratively with partners, including meetings, joint projects, information sharing etc
- Ensure or enhance the quality, consistency and appropriateness of country-specific communication materials, activities, processes and messages shared with partners.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen the capacity of partners through appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to information, supplies and equipment and through knowledge sharing.
Monitor, evaluate and share results and findings with partners, including government, donors and other UN partners.
Oversight of of PSAs and supporting materials, posters, documentation (including celebrities and special events)
Ensure that the Polio Section has a well maintained and continually developed contact/vendor list of appropriate public relations firms, TV/Radio Broadcasting outlets and other transmission sources to ensure access to all targeted audiences within the country. In those cases where contractual arrangements (fee based arrangements) are required with broadcast firms, such arrangements will be negotiated and in place.
Duties & Tasks
- Organizes the research, development, pre-testing, and production of culturally relevant communication materials.
- Ensures the quality, consistency and appropriateness of communication materials that are developed, produced, and disseminated to local communities, government officials, other partners and the press.
- Establish contacts with those broadcasting forum which will provide non-paid PSA transmissions.
- Establish contacts and contractual arrangements with those broadcast facilities which can only be used on a fee-based contractual arrangement basis.
- Establish, document, review and refine process of working with celebrities, including special events, media opportunities, field trips etc.
Participate in global advocacy activities by planning visits of major donors, Goodwill Ambassadors, National Committee representatives, Executive Board members etc. including preparing information materials (e.g., press releases, programme summaries, country fact sheets and media kits), and necessary logistic arrangements. Highlight the achievements of the country programme. Maintain close collaboration with Regional Communication Advisers and HQ Communication Officers for effective overall coordination.
Global priorities and campaigns
In addition to local/national polios campaigns, ensure that the Polio Section has an effective process in place for integrating and taking action on UNICEF's global polio communications priorities and campaigns, both disseminating these elements in a locally-appropriate way, as well as providing/enabling coverage of the work in the country for global use.
Duties & Tasks
- Support the UNICEF global polio communications objectives and strategies through development of complementary country specific and local community materials and activities. Work plan should anticipate the inclusion of work on global priorities and campaigns.
- Develop and deploy country office communication capacity to gather/facilitate the content and coverage of relevant country efforts. Use the opportunity to identify/highlight effective programme activities and results.
Ensure regular communication and co-ordination with relevant communication focal points in regional offices and headquarters divisions.
Resource mobilization support
Ensure that global and country level fund-raising activities are supported by effective advocacy and communication strategy and activities.
Duties & Tasks
- Mobilize country office communication capacity to support and gather/facilitate the gathering of content and coverage of relevant country efforts. Use the opportunity to identify/highlight effective polio programme activities and results in support of fund-raising.
Mobilize resources for fund-raising support by regular communication and co-ordination with relevant communication focal points in regional offices and headquarters divisions.
Ensure that human resources (the communication team) and financial resources (budget planning, management and monitoring) are both effectively managed and optimally used.
Duties & Tasks
- Develop a work plan for communication activities, monitor compliance and provide support and guidance to ensure objectives are met.
- Plan and monitor the use of communication budgetary resources. Approve and monitor the overall allocation and disbursement and liquidation of funds. Take appropriate actions to optimize use of funds.
- Identify, recruit and supervise staff, technical resources and consultants as necessary. Conduct and Implement effective performance planning, monitoring, performance development programme as required.
Ensure communication effectiveness, efficiency and delivery as well as a rigorous and transparent approach to planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Monitoring and evaluation
Ensure that communication baselines are established against which the achievement of objectives of the communication strategy are regularly evaluated; analysis is undertaken to continuously improve the effectiveness of communication strategy, approach and activities; results and reports are prepared and shared on a timely basis**.**
Duties & Tasks
- Designs, manages and disseminates communication data to inform all components of the communication strategy: conceptualization, implementation, and evaluation.
- Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges and sharing of experience, lessons learned, best practices, and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
Provide technical support to ensure that a set of communication performance indicators is identified and adjusted as necessary, and these communication indicators are incorporated or fed forwarded in the Annual Management Plan, Annual Work Plan, etc.
Capacity building and support
Ensure that the Representative/Senior or Regional Communication Officer and the country programme team are provided with professional expertise and advice on all aspects of external relations communication as required; opportunities are identified and addressed for building communication capacity among country communication team, media and other relevant partners.
Provides effective coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
Duties & Tasks
- Support communication activities through knowledge management, information exchange and building capacity of the country communications team. Enable appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to information, supplies and equipment, and developing training and orientation material.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen the capacity of partners through appropriate social mobilisation, advocacy and communication training.
- Ensure that all frontline workers – including vaccinators and social mobilizers are provided with professional expertise and advice on all aspects of communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ensure UNICEF and Government communication staff at all levels are operating with the requisite capacity to deliver a quality polio-eradication Communications Programme.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree or equivalent working experience in social sciences, with preference to those with studies in public health, journalism, public health communication, social development communication and community development.
Eight (8) years of progressively responsible professional work experience at national and international levels in programme implementation, including public health and/or strategic communication.
Practical experience in community-based research and project implementation. Experience in polio eradication is an asset.
Fluency in English and another UN working language as required.
Knowledge of Urdu, Pashto, Sindhi is desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Diversity and Inclusion
Working with People [III]
Drive for Results [III]
Leading and Supervising [III]
Formulating Strategies and Concepts [III]
Relating and Networking [III]
Persuading and Influencing [III]
Entrepreneurial Thinking [III]
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Islamabad is a non-family duty station.
If you would like to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children, please apply to the link below no later than 11 February, 2016.
If you have not yet registered with UNICEF Employment, please click on the link below and complete the Registration form. https://careers.unicef.org/registration
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Islamabad | Islamabad
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-02-11