London | London
General Description of the Programme
GOAL’s Emergency Medical Team, is part of an expanding Health Department. A new initiative to strengthen GOAL’s Health response in emergencies, building on recent work in the West Africa Ebola response and recognising more widely that there is a significant gap in global health service provision for the most vulnerable, GOAL is developing a dedicated emergency response capability.
The Emergency Medical Team (EMT) will consist of a team of technical and operations staff capable of rapid deployments to health crises, supporting on-going health programming, undertaking needs assessments and providing remote support to GOAL Country Programmes. The EMT will work in both sudden onset and chronic emergencies, respond to infectious disease outbreaks and stand ready to depoy at short notice to health cises globally.
Overview of the role
- Ensuring logistics systems are in place for the Health Unit and that logistics tasks are implemented in compliance with GOAL’s Logistic Manual and donor requirements
- Provide effective and timely logistics support to emergency responses - Ensuring the EMT is appropriately prepared, supplied, equipped and logistically serviced
- Support successful emergency medical responses through deployments as Logistics Coordinator as necessary
- General / Support to GOAL Health Unit
- To familiarise self and comply with all the policies outlined in the GOAL Logistics Manual and relevant donor requirements;
- Provide logistics support to the Health Unit as required – with a focus on the EMT (see below)
- Ensure the GOAL Health Unit logistics team works in close coordination with GOAL Head Office Logistics Team
- Ensure GOAL compliant logistics systems are in place and adhered to
- To oversee the completion and submission of required reports
- Maintain a contracts management database for all works and services contracts including procurement, warehousing, freight, vehicle hire and so on.
- Ensure that all procedures and documents pertaining to Asset Management as per the Logistics manual are in place and being followed;
Ensure on going update of the fixed Asset Register
To ensure assets are safe guarded with physical checks in line with GOAL Logistics Manual.
- To deploy as part of the GOAL EMT as required
- To ensure logistics readiness of the EMT enabling rapid timely deployment of logistics staff, EMT equipment and supplies
- To ensure the EMT is supplied with appropriate equipment, supplies and materials
- To ensure stockpiling of EMT supplies, storage and transport arrangements are in place as required
- To ensure EMT staff are familiar with Logistics systems as necessary
- To ensure EMT has appropriate communications equipment and staff are familiar with its use
- To liaise with peer agencies and others to ensure the EMT is up to date with useful innovations in equipment or supplies
Human Resources Management
- Manage a logistics team in London and in the field when deployed
- Identify training or development needs where necessary and coach logistics personnel on best practice and GOAL's logistics procedures;
- Ensure all performance management activities in relation to all logistics staff are carried out as per required schedule.
- Audit emergency response programmes as required to ensure that logistics systems are being implemented.
- Work with Internal Auditor and Donor Compliance Department to ensure all audit issues are addressed with required timelines
- To take part in design and delivery of training and capacity building as required
- Take on other duties as assigned when required
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Min 5 years of logistics experience with an international agency with at least 1 year experience at Logistics Coordinator level
- Experience of working in difficult and insecure environments
- A degree in Logistics, Engineering, Business, or related field
- Appropriate skills and experience in the capacity building and training of staff and of developing and implementing systems
- Knowledge of project management, vehicle management, communications systems, IT, procurement, stock control and management systems;
- Ability and willingness to travel,
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft packages, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work under pressure to pursue multiple tasks simultaneously to successful conclusions and ability to work under own initiative.
- Ability to speak French or Arabic
General terms and conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
Candidates will be vetted in accordance with the GOAL Child Protection Policy.
Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: London | London
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2016-02-25