Head of Base
Tindouf | Algiers
Do you want to work in our new operation in Algeria? Would you like to be responsible for organising and leading our activities? We are looking for an ambitious Head of Base to join our team.
Who are we?
DRC is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which provides protection, promotes and supports durable solutions to displacement-affected populations all over the world. DRC is present in some 40 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, legal aid and a wide range of other protection assistance.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, and protection programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Libya/Tunisia, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey and a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region.
Currently DRC is launching a new operation in Algeria for the Sahrawi refugees in Tindouf. In 2015, DRC reviewed the feasibility of starting a livelihood programme in five camps around Tindouf to work with the protracted caseload of Sahrawi’s living in camps for the last 40 years. During November and December 2015, DRC conducted a scoping mission and is now setting up a livelihood-focused programme starting in February 2016.
About the job
The Tinduf Head of Base is responsible for the overall operational and programmatic planning, reporting, and implementation to enable DRC to achieve its objectives through appropriate integrated programme approaches and activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Head of Base is the most senior position based in Algeria with line management of the programme and operations staff in Tinduf and reporting to the Maghreb Head of Programmes based in Tunisia.
Representation, Fundraising and External Coordination
Lead the programme fundraising with identified partners (UNHCR, ECHO) and other donors;
Strengthen the liaison with key stakeholders in the livelihood sector and represent DRC before local authorities, UN agencies, Donors and NGOs;
Liaise with the Head of Grants, Communications and Head of Programme Quality in ensuring that quality project reports are submitted, internally and externally;
- Responsible for programme start-up and implementation;
- Review the programme strategy as needed, and organise with the support of the field team a national 6-month work plan based upon the programme strategy;
- Closely liaise with the Tunis-based Head of Programmes ensuring Algeria remains in line with Maghreb and MENA programme strategy;
- Supervise finance, admin, HR, procurement and logistics of the Algeria operations, ensuring that expenditure is compliant with DRC procedures, donors’ regulation and national legislation;
- Seek legal representation to support the legal registration of DRC in Algeria and visas and work permits for expatriate staff;
- Closely liaises with the Head of Finance and Administration on the programme’s financial management
- Review on regular basis the safety situation in the different areas of operations and adjust programming accordingly, in consultation with the Safety Advisor and the Maghreb Country Director.
To be successful in this role you must have a master’s degree in a relevant field or a post graduate qualification in management. Furthermore you should have:
- At least 5 years of international experience in an INGO Senior Management Position;
- At least 3 years of livelihood-focused programme design and management;
- At least 2 years of experience in complex protracted camp settings;
- Experience working in multi-cultural work settings;
- Ability to work in remote areas and challenging context;
- Strong organizational and project management skills;
- Spoken and written English is essential
- Fluent in Spanish, and/or Arabic
- French is an advantage
Ideally, you also have:
- Experience working within the MENA region;
- Experience working with UNHCR, ECHO, WFP and UNICEF guidelines;
- Experience dealing with national partners and local/government authorities;
DRC will offer the successful applicant a six month contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. Subject to funding, you must be available to start work from 22/01/2016 and be willing and able to work out of Algeria and travel in the Maghreb/ MENA region.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. This position will be placed at A9.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please email@example.com
Applications close 12 January 2016.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact Martin Vane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications sent directly to Mr. Vane will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tindouf | Algiers
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-01-12