Deputy Regional Program Directors-West,Central,North Africa
Rabat | Rabat
As Mercy Corps seeks to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression around the world, the events currently sweeping across West Central and North Africa, are rare moments of opportunity. Mercy Corps is interested in strengthening its presence for early as well as longer-term programming. It is imperative that Mercy Corps present itself as a key and reliable partner with various donors, INGOs, government authorities and civil society actors, to be part of the process of positive change. It is also critical that we are doing the best we can in all aspects of our current and future programs throughout the region, and looking at new approaches and opportunities for the greatest impact and influence in the region. Mercy Corps, with global experience in working in countries undergoing major transitions, will be a key contributor in the process, bringing knowledge, expertise and strong management skills to position the agency as a partner of choice for progressive change.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Deputy Regional Program Director (DRPD) for WCN Africa will support Mercy Corps' operations and programmatic excellence in the region, now serving populations in Morocco, Tunisia, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, CAR and DRC. These are countries undergoing dramatic transitions that have the potential to create significant opportunity for development and change. The DRPD will work closely with the Regional Program Director (RPD) to help create a unified and positive team, and steer our team and programs toward impact-driven programming in the region.
The Deputy Regional Program Director will help establish and support a broad regional strategy while being attentive to individual program needs and constraints in order to achieve excellence. S/he will manage, motivate and align support of (RPT) teams, technical advisors and TSU assistance to best support the overall regional and agency strategy towards excellence and greatest possible impact in the region. S/he must be resolute in achieving regional agency goals while maintaining an ability to adapt and respond to emergencies that arise, and must ensure that mechanisms are in place to enable such response. The DRPD will work closely with the RPD for WCN Africa, and establish strategies and ensure implementation that is in line with agency direction and policy. S/he has a deep understanding of the region, its recent history, current trends and political environment, and who has held senior roles in large, complex organizations. S/he will ensure that country program operations are of the highest quality and standards and result in desired impact of effectively reaching as many beneficiaries as possible.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision
- Provide support on programmatic and operational matters in the region, ensuring all programs are producing the highest possible impact, reaching the most beneficiaries and are in line with the overall regional and agency strategy.
- Lead on tracking overall programmatic excellence including assessing and organizing country and regional level monitoring and evaluation efforts, and feed results into internal and external communications highlighting our regional and global impact.
- Act as key thought partner to Regional Program Director to achieve a strong and highly functional team, programmatic excellence and significant impact and influence in the region.
- With RPD, HQ and country-level leaders, identify and develop new programming and identify new partners.
- Work closely with New Initiatives, Resilience and Humanitarian Advisors to ensure efforts are supportive in working together to complement each others' work towards greatest possible impact and influence in the region.
- Assist with the preparation of an annual agency strategic plan and budget for program operations and assist with the administration of the plan/budget throughout the fiscal year.
Program Operations and Management
- Manage and motivate all support (RPT) staff and regional technical advisors towards achieving programmatic excellence.
- Work closely with technical support teams (TSU, PALM, SRGE) to ensure observations made in country/priorities identified are followed through for long term results.
- Strengthen support (RPT) staff to achieve program excellence and work towards achieving regional and agency strategic goals.
- In the event of a major disaster in a given region, work and/or liaise with Mercy Corps' Global Emergency Operations team.
- Support country leadership in developing and implementing program and operations policies and procedures according to internal and donor policies.
- Assist with the recruitment, selection, orientation and training of Mercy Corps' program teams.
- Ability to motivate, empower and guide teams towards excellence.
- Manage support staff and regional advisors to develop the most effective team working towards program excellence, greatest impact and influence in the region.
- Collaborate with the Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness team in HQ to ensure sound performance management and field access to high quality learning opportunities, with a special emphasis on national staff development.
- Support the development of systems to ensure that HQ and field staff supporting the regional program are trained and properly oriented in Mercy Corps' systems, procedures and protocols.
- Develop and nurture culturally sensitive internal and external relationships and networks to ensure optimum communication and program success.
- Build strong constituencies to include Mercy Corps headquarters and regional office teams, international and local civil society leaders, government officials, donor community officials, diplomatic corps/ military and embassies, vendors, media and the general public.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Technical Advisors in the region; and supplemental support teams (RPT) based at HQ in locations such as Portland, OR, Washington, DC, London and Edinburgh.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Regional Program Director - WCN Africa
WORKS WITH: Senior Vice President of Programs, Regional CDs
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- MA/S or equivalent in business, international development, political or social science management or other relevant field.
- 3 - 5 years' field experience in senior program management preferred.
- 5 years' operations experience including direct "hands-on" skills in program development, strategic planning, program implementation and evaluation; strong preference given to candidates with prior experience in Africa.
- 8 - 10 years' team management experience, i.e. staff supervision, mentoring, and development; training; team building; finance and administration; donor relations; and inter/intra-agency communications. Fluency in French is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of the critical development issues in the assigned region and significant experience with the challenges of operating programs in the region.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience with US, EC, UN and other public and private donors, government grant and financial management requirements.
- Exceptional program and project conceptualization and design skills.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication, organization, and prioritization skills and experience.
- Additional and expanded overseas' experience a
- French written and verbal fluency required
- Ability to handle multiple issues at one time, including emergency situations.
- Team player, positive attitude and sense of humor a plus.
- Skilled communicator, able to develop and foster strong relationships with team members, partners and donors.
- Nimble, resourceful and proven leader and partner.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The position will be Rabat, Morocco. all security guidelines and protocols must be closely followed at all times. This position is accompanied. The Deputy Regional Program Director will be expected to travel at least 40% to all countries within the portfolio.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Staff are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=dGNoYWJvdW5pLjUyMjk1LjM4MzBAbWVyY3ljb3Jwcy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Rabat | Rabat
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-03-30