Head of Mission - KRI
Erbil | Baghdad
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
1. Terms of reference
Job title: Head of Mission (HoM)
Location: The post holder will be based in Erbil with periodic visits to the project locations in Erbil and Duhok Governorates
Reporting to: Regional Director
Starting date: asap
Duration of contract: 1 year
2. General context of the mission
Since resuming operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq in November 2013, INTERSOS has been providing social protection assistance services for conflict-affected civil population, both Syrian refugees and Iraqi IDPs in camp and non-camp settings.
Specifically, in support of the refugees living in camps, INTERSOS has been conducting community mobilization and protection monitoring activities to empower targeted communities, while contextually enhancing access of individuals with specific needs or vulnerabilities to social protection mechanisms.
In the framework of the emergency response to the massive influx of IDPs, INTERSOS has then established three Drop-in Centers with the aim of funneling in a single location services offered by different providers, to create positive synergies and thus be able to promote timely, comprehensive and effective response to the specific needs of the target population.
3. Tasks and responsibilities
The general purpose of the post is to represent INTERSOS in the country and act in accordance with specific directions from and supervision of the Regional Director.
The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
· Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders.
· Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities, with special attention to the registration process in Iraq and in the Kurdistan Region.
· Define country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new projects.
· Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations - and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects - ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with INTERSOS and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures.
· Define the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses.
· Check the mission monthly expenses and guarantee accordance with the financial plan.
· Ensure the respect of INTERSOS procedures for the procurement of goods, works and services (e.g.: forwarding all tender notices and results to the headquarter for publication on the organization's website).
· Assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts.
· Approve the projects reports - narrative and financial - and assume responsibility for their submission to the donors.
· Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention.
· Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance.
· Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings.
· Write monthly reports on the country operations for the Regional Director.
· Apply all procedures defined by INTERSOS and donors.
4. Required profile/experience
· Advanced university degree. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· At least 5 years of professional work experience as Head of Mission or other management/coordination positions in humanitarian/development contexts.
· Proven experience in management of UN and/or ECHO funds.
· Proven experience in management of large staff teams.
· Proficient knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
· Ability to set high standards for quality of work
· Ability to analyze and integrate information from a wide range of sources
· Ability to administrate funds, logistics and human resources
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· Mastery of IT tools (MS Office package, internet, e-mail, etc.)
· Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
· Ability to take initiative and work autonomously
· Ability to achieve results effectively, considering the need for speed, scale and quality
· Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
· Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their curriculum vitae, motivation letter and 2 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the subject ‘HoM KRI”**
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview
- Organization: INTERSOS
- Location: Erbil | Baghdad
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-01-08