Regional Agricultural Livelihoods Technical Advisor
Job Title: Regional Agricultural Livelihoods Technical Advisor**Region/Department:** East and South Asia Regional Office (ESA)
Position Type: Full Time
Area of Interest: Agriculture & Livelihoods
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
The Regional Technical Advisor (RTA) for Agricultural Livelihoods will provide broad leadership around this priority area for the East and South Asia Region.
The CRS Agricultural Livelihoods signature program area has a 5 year strategic goal to provide a pathway to prosperity for 5 million rural households worldwide. Working through our partner network we aim to provide poor rural farming families with the assets, skills and links to markets and services that they require to live more dignified, prosperous and resilient lives.
CRS is committed to working with vulnerable families all along the pathway to prosperity. CRS supports rural families in their bid to leave poverty; attain food security and achieve incremental gains in prosperity through three stages Recover, Build and Grow. Each phase includes asset building, risk reduction and changes to systems and structures that support long term resilience and the ability to rebound from adversity, in line with CRS' Integral Human Development framework.
The RTA will provide technical guidance and assistance to country agriculture and livelihoods program staff and play an active role in providing leadership in project development, team training, program quality and evaluation of programs that assist farm families in building their capacity to increased and sustainable productivity, improved revenue, better dietary diversity and more environmentally sustainable farming systems in the face of climate change. This support will be for the 10 countries in the ESA Region: Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam; with remote support to Sri Lanka, China and Korea as required. The RTA will create linkages between on-going health, water, and emergency programs in the region, with a special interest in the agriculture - nutritional health linkage.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical assistance for agricultural and livelihoods development activities in the ESA region.
- Take an active role in promoting implementation of the Agency's strategy on agricultural livelihoods.
- Provide guidance and support for gender-sensitive agricultural livelihoods programming.
- Lead reviews of project ideas, concept papers and proposals. Support country program staff, including Program Managers and Heads of Programs, to design and implement high quality agriculture and livelihoods projects.
- Assist country programs in designing MEAL systems that ensure beneficiary accountability and capture program results.
- Assist country programs in positioning for agriculture and livelihoods opportunities and responding to funding opportunities.
- Actively explore cross-sectoral linkages between agricultural livelihoods programming and emergency response, conflict resolution, water, nutrition and health.
A. Technical Guidance, Assistance, and Training; and Program Monitoring
- Provide technical assistance to country agriculture programs on crop choice, seed, market, inputs, etc.
- Provide technical assistance to country programs to ensure program quality.
- Participate actively in the recruitment of country program agricultural livelihoods staff and serve as a mentor to them; provide capacity building for CRS and partner staff.
- Assist country programs in identifying challenges to programming and in developing solutions to address them.
- Assist country programs with their strategic plans for agricultural livelihoods and assist in development of those plans.
- Coordinate requests for external consultants and temporary duty assignments of other CRS staff.
- Along with the RTA for Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning, assist programs in the development of quantitative and qualitative assessments including baseline surveys, participatory rural assessments and computer analysis of results, if needed.
- Assist in the design and drafting of program detailed implementation plans.
- Assist in writing country funding proposals.
- Provide training as required to country program and partner staff on Agency agricultural livelihoods tools, practices and strategies.
- Share lessons learned from CRS evaluations of projects including in formal settings set aside for that purpose.
- Assist in the design of evaluations, the identification of external evaluation consultants, and in reviewing reports for publication.
B. Leadership in Agricultural Livelihoods
- Identify and share industry and Agency best practices to country programs during program design and implementation phases.
- Assist with the testing of new agricultural livelihoods tools and approaches developed by the field or headquarters.
- Provide vision for programming and mentor country program team members to achieve the vision.
- Work closely with country program staff in documentation and dissemination of best practices to enhance the ESA learning agenda and raise the profile of programming in the region
C. Networking and Alliance-Building
- Network with appropriate organizations to build CRS' profile in ESA and to build alliances that further strategic objectives.
- Develop and maintain strong linkages with international donors. Market CRS' work and obtain external funding for regional and country program strategies.
- Inform country programs of regional activities and opportunities.
- Facilitate and attend workshops in core areas related to the sector organized by headquarters, consortia and country programs.
- Share lessons learned and educational opportunities with country programs.
- Facilitate communication and learning between country programs and HQ departments in matters pertaining to agricultural livelihoods.
- Represent CRS at international conferences, preferably as a presenter of CRS work.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive
- Relationships Promotes Learning
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Report to the Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality; collaborate with the Country Representatives, the Heads of Programming, and the country Agricultural Livelihoods Program Managers and other country staff.
- External: Collaborate with other NGOs, UN Agencies and local government on sectoral matters.
Applicants must provide a statement of claims addressing the selection criteria below, which should detail suitability to perform the duties of the position including personal qualities, experience, skills and knowledge relative to the selection criteria:
- Sound knowledge of agriculture, agricultural livelihoods and nutrition in development
- Sound knowledge of agribusiness systems and value chain development
- Advanced degree in agriculture or related field, but at the least a MSc/MA in a development related field such as agricultural extension, agro-enterprise or agribusiness management.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in international development either as a technical advisor or a program manager.
- Experience in program design/management, program quality and performance assessment as part of ongoing efforts to improve aid effectiveness.
- Technical competency within the agricultural sector
- Experience with ICT and agriculture desirable (mobile technology, market information, etc.)
- Agro-enterprise or value chain experience
- Knowledge of climate change and environmentally sound agriculture practices, or agriculture to build resiliency regarding climate change or external shocks
- Experience with participatory techniques in community development. Experience with adult learning methods and tools.
- Interest and capacity to learn about new areas.
- Strong M&E skills.
- Strong analytical skills, sound judgment and the capacity to think and plan strategically, including the ability to produce high quality policy materials and advice for development implementation.
- High level English oral and written communication skills, including representation and liaison skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, networking and negotiation skills, including in a cross-cultural context as a team player.
- Experience collaborating with local NGOs preferred.
- Excellent coordination skills.
- Knowledge of spreadsheets and budgeting.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% of the time.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply online through the CRS Careers site: https://www5.apply2jobs.com/CRS/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=2600&CurrentPage=1
- Organization: CRS - Catholic Relief Services
- Location: Phnom Penh
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2016-01-17