Head of Implementation
Nairobi | Nairobi
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
UNOPS East Africa Hub
The UNOPS East Africa Hub is located in Nairobi and oversees the organizations operations in Somalia, South Sudan and Burundi. The Hub covers a large geographic spread, including Eritrea, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Mauritius, Seychelles and Comoros, in addition to those mentioned above. UNOPS in Kenya implements a large portfolio of projects in partnership with other UN agencies and various donors on the ground, ranging from physical infrastructure to transactional projects.
Summary of key results:
- Programme implementation and monitoring
- Programme planning
- Manage programme resources
- Knowledge management and innovation
Programme implementation and monitoring
- Establish and oversee the execution of programme implementation plans in collaboration with the team and partners, including setting objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and client oriented services.
- Monitor and supervise the timely and cost-effective implementation of the programme according to UNOPS goals and partner expectations, approved budget and full cost recovery.
- Supervise the Programme Management Office (PMO) to ensure that project management policies, processes and methods are followed and practiced according to the organization’s standards, best project management practices are promoted, and overall assurance of projects is provided.
- Mentor and assist Project Managers in planning, execution and delivery of allocated projects, ensuring incorporation of best practice project management processes.
- Facilitate timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs, and reporting.
- Oversee the contract management system, ensuring compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Support and advise Country Directors on issues regarding the financial sustainability of the programme and delivery of desired results, ensuring compliance with organizational strategies, rules, regulations and standards of performance.
- Identify and report critical issues to the Operational Hub Director, Country Director(s) and clients, to drive future process improvement and programme planning.
- Support and advise Country Directors in the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments).
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonization of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance.
Manage programme resources
- Assist Country Directors to plan and propose, required programme resources (human and financial).
- Ensure seamless integration of project operations and project support.
- Oversee the establishment of appropriate facilities in operational locations to enable on site supervision, quality control and relevant project management activities.
- Submit revenue and expenditure forecasts based on UNOPS and Country Directors financial goals.
- Manage programme resources in accordance with UNOPS standards of ethics, integrity and accountability framework and financial sustainability.
- Plan, recruit, manage and develop programme personnel/technical experts with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance and encouraging the formation of diverse teams in term of gender and geography.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the programme team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Plan, conduct and/or respond to UNOPS performance evaluation reviews and surveys.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest / best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the programme delivery and results.
- Institutionalize and share best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
- Draft policy papers and/or recommend policy changes to align operations with changing environment.
- Lead the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, clients and stakeholders within the programme.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful performance by the Head of Implementation directly impacts on achievement of programme results and consequently reinforces the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Planning and organizing skills
- Results orientation
- Communications skills:
- Teamwork skills
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modeling behavior.
- Ability to communicate ideas and concept in writing and orally, clearly and convincingly.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Project Management
- Programme management
- Budget Management
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Client Management
- Quality Control
- Capacity Building
- Client Management
- Contracts Negotiation
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent ) in Project Management, Engineering, Construction or related field is required or;
- First level university degree (Bachelor's) Project Management, Engineering, Construction or related field in combination with additional 2 years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- 7 years of experience in Programme and Project Management, planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization.
- Exposure and understanding of large scale civil infrastructure projects is essential.
- Experience of working in fragile, conflict and transition scenarios is essential.
- Experience working for UNOPS, particularly an understanding of UNOPS policy and procedures is desirable.
- Experience working in the Africa region is desirable.
- Experience working with key partners including the World Bank, USAID and national governments is desirable.
Full working knowledge of English is essential. Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
- PRINCE2® Foundation & Practitioner is an asset, but required completion within first 6 months of on boarding.
- Programme/Project Management Professional (MSP® or PMI-PgMP/PMI-PMP) an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA 3
Contract duration: 1 year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Create an account and apply on the UNOPS website through this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Nairobi | Nairobi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2015-11-28