Head of Communications
Dubai | Abu Dhabi
· This position reports to the Executive Director.
· Within the MSF UAE office this position has primary working relationships with the Executive Director, the Head of Fundraising and staff of the fundraising and communications team and directly manages the Press Officer, Social Media Officer and Translation Specialist.
· Within MSF this position collaborates primarily with communications staff across the movement
· Outside MSF, the position coordinates, primarily with the media and service providers.
Purpose of the Position
The Head of Communications will develop and implement strategies that will increase MSF’s visibility in the UAE and GCC and raise public awareness and financial support for MSF’s medical humanitarian work. This will include developing and implementing MSF UAE’s communication and online engagement strategy.
Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of an integrated communications strategy, including a social media strategy, to achieve demonstrable increase in positive public awareness of MSF amongst UAE and GCC audiences and an increase in fundraising revenue year on year.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Planning and Strategy
· Write, implement, monitor and evaluate MSF UAE’s Annual Communications plan. Ensure objectives are fully integrated with the overall strategy for MSF UAE, and compliment fundraising initiatives.
· Work with the Executive Director to identify and represent MSF to key stakeholders in the Gulf
· Visit MSF filed projects to gather material to support MSF UAE’s communication, marketing and fundraising strategy
· Develop a media relations plan to maximize positive coverage of MSF’s work and values, and coverage of the issues of operational importance to MSF, and MSF’s role in high profile emergencies
· Monitor the external media environment in the Gulf, and provide context analysis and suggest editorial approaches
· Develop and manage the crisis communications policy and oversee its implementation when necessary
· Work with the Press officer and Social Media Officer to identify and pursue new audiences and outlets to pitch MSF messaging, materials and online awareness and fundraising campaigns
· Monitor, analyze and provide advice on Arabic social media content related to MSF
· Develop an integrated marketing plan for the MSF UAE office, with particular emphasis on an online strategy for communication, public engagement and fundraising
· Lead the public communications and marketing around campaigns, in print, broadcast media and online.
· Organize public events to raise awareness of MSF in the UAE and GCC, and amongst different target groups and audiences
· Manage the ongoing development of MSF UAE’s Arabic-English website, and maximize the use of web analytics to guide communication
· Manage high profile flagship campaigns that have significant potential in terms of raising visibility and funds
· Effectively line manage the Press Officer, Social Media officer and Translation Specialist ensuring that staff carry out their tasks and duties in line with their role requirements
· Ensure that staff receive appropriate development and training to enable them to perform in their roles including in the implementation of performance evaluations and adequate provision for staff personal development and trainings as relevant
· Recruit, train, supervise, support, develop, and guide qualified staff, including volunteers
· Communications point of contact within the movement
· Occasionally act as a spokesperson for MSF UAE
· Manage the communications budget
· Provide quarterly reviews of budget requirements to the Executive Director Other
· Proof read and edit communications in Arabic
· Provide support to international MSF communications where appropriate
· Collaborate with colleagues from other MSF-UAE departments to plan and implement MSF-UAE strategy to communicate key messages
· Contribute to the Department’s efforts to ensure that MSF UAE work, issues and requirements are clearly understood with the MSF movement
· Undertake other activities as may be required by the Executive Director
Essential Skills and Experience
· Graduate with relevant degree
· Minimum of 6 years in media relations, public relations or working in the Communications department of an NGO
· Proficiency in Arabic and English is a must
· Demonstrable experience in developing and leading a successful national communications strategies
· Hands-on experience of press office work, including substantial understanding of, and contacts in, Gulf media
· Proven ability to communicate complex information in accessible, simple language (both verbal and written) to a variety of audiences
· Understanding of online media tools
· Good knowledge of world affairs and a demonstrable understanding of and commitment to humanitarian issues
· Strong organizational skills with experience of managing multiple tasks
· Flexible, can-do attitude and good team player – this role involves working very closely and collaboratively with colleagues in the UAE and other MSF staff in the region
· Ability to cope with stress, retain good humour and make sound ethical and personal judgements in order to deal with ambiguities and conflict
· Willingness to work evenings and weekends, as required
PACKAGE: Salary package around 30,000 AED/month all inclusive (basic, allowances) + regional health insurance ; residence/work visa sponsorship ; annual home flight ticket ; 30 days holidays ; flight ticket to Dubai if outside the country.
Please submit your letter of motivation and updated CV before November 12th, 2015 to recruitmentUAE@msf.org, noting your NAME with VACHoC-11/15 in the subject field.
Kindly note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted after the submission deadline.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivery emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, exclusion from healthcare and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. When MSF witnesses serious acts of violence, neglected crises, or obstructions to its activities, the organisation may speak out about this. For further information please visit www.msf-me.org
- Organization: MSF - Médecins Sans Frontières
- Location: Dubai | Abu Dhabi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2015-11-12