Senior Land and Buildings Officer
Senior Land and Buildings Officer
The position of the Senior Engineering and Property Manager is designed to provide timely and sound technical advice in all major projects for the acquisition of premises (Land and Buildings), owned, leased or in right-of-use agreement requiring engineering assessment and property management (e.g. new constructions, renovations, expansions, demolitions, lease agreements, Memoranda of Understanding for the right of use, purchases, donations, lease-constructions, maintenance and repair). The incumbent should have a solid technical background and expertise to provide expert opinion on engineering issues and should be adequately resourceful in seeking advice from relevant national and international authorities for the benefit of the Organization.
A major area of work will be the construction, alteration and/or improvement to the existing UNHCR owned and/or leased premises and acquisition of new property. The incumbent will support the Organisation in setting-up property policies, plans, objectives, including performance indicators, and advise senior management on issues based on the market and feasibility analysis taking into consideration the functional/aesthetic standards, quality, security, safety, overhead/maintenance costs of the UNHCR premises.
This position falls under the direct supervision of the Head of the Supply Management Logistics Service and will have direct working relationships with the Heads of Field Offices in identifying opportunities to support the strategic directions and business needs of the Organization. S/he will provide advice on the immediate and long-term challenges of office space and staff accommodation requirements and will take active role in identifying opportunities, formulating and implementing UNHCR property strategy, managing property risks including business continuity risks, assessment of market forces and economic cycles that could impact UNHCR owned and leased properties worldwide. Equally, the incumbent will liaise with DFAM and the Assets Management Unit of SMLS/AFMS in aspects related to having a correct database and registration of buildings, owned or leased, and expenses relevant to acquisition projects.
- Strategies and policy for premises acquisition or leasing are developed, kept updated and disseminated.
- Organisation¿s premises strategies are aligned with their broader strategic objectives and allow timely delivery of goods and services.
- Buildings and land management techniques are in place to provide greater accountability and reduction in costs and liabilities.
- Develop complementary internal policy and procedural documents to assist operations in the delivery of day-to-day property management activities in accordance with the UNHCR¿s global strategy on leased or owned property.
- Develop strategy and related policy on UNHCR acquisition or leasing of land and buildings.
- Support UNHCR operations in preparing plans for establishment of office premises, forecast requirements taking into consideration acquisition (including leasing), repairs and maintenance, refurbishment, lease management, health and safety, energy and sustainability, facilities management (including building safety, security and services).
- Prepare analytical and narrative reports by collecting, analysing and summarising data (including financial) and trends related to property management.
- Recommend procurement strategy for office premises and staff accommodation.
- Set-up property objectives and define performance indicators which ensure that the quantity, functionality, quality, maintenance cost of existing premises are appropriate.
- Determine risk management strategy to address insufficient or inappropriate resources, poor maintenance record or inadequate lease documentation, failure to accurately identify space requirements (location, quantity or quality), inflexible property portfolio.
- Analyse all major alterations and improvements to UNHCR owned or leased premises.
- Ensure that operations obtain all necessary documents to establish ownership of land and buildings and satisfy all legal national and international requirements with regard to the buildings safety and adequacy to the planned use and occupancy.
- Review and verify that MSRP Module fulfils property valuation requirements. Propose modifications, if necessary.
- Review premises acquisition contracts submitted to the approval of the HQ Committee on Contracts, and provide technical endorsement to the Procurement Service with special regard to the project adequacy to the planned use and occupancy.
- Provide engineering expertise to DFAM on IPSAS compliance.
- Develop and standardize contracts, forms and templates in acquisition or leasing of properties, in coordination with LAS and DFAM.
- Coordinate with DFAM and DHRM on issues related to staff accommodation.
- Maintain a register of major alterations and improvements to the properties and share reports with DFAM/FCS.
- Assist UNHCR's offices in producing comprehensive maintenance agreement tender documents, associated contractual documentation and the technical data sheet for each item covered by the maintenance contract.
- Plan renovations, calculate overhead costs, depreciations, prepare annual budgets, schedule expenditures, analyse variance and initiate corrective actions.
- Determine areas to improve property efficiency, effectiveness and alignment with organization¿s current and future needs.
- Propose most convenient solutions between purchase and lease of premises, considering full life cycle and existing alternatives.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced university degree (Master¿s degree) in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or its equivalent from a technical or professional institution or a university.
- Degree in combination with relevant experience in the private sector, in the UN or in an International NGO may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in progressively responsible functions in engineering, technical support function, project management, construction, building maintenance, facilities management or other relevant area; preferably in a UN agency, with minimum of 5 years in international capacity.
- Proven ability and experience in managing complex technical projects, preferably property related projects.
- Ability to interpret legal documents, surveys, construction drawings, title deed and investigative skills.
- In-depth knowledge of construction accounting.
- Computer skills and knowledge of various programmes e.g. AutoCAD, MS Office, including property management software.
- Excellent oral, comprehension, drafting skills in English and working knowledge in another UN language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Well versed with cost-benefit analysis and real estate highest occupancy and best practices.
- Up-to-date knowledge of economic trends and market conditions.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of property management.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of effective report preparation and presentation.
- Knowledge of basic accountancy.
- Knowledge of MSRP or other ERP systems and able to maintain database of land and buildings.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X006L3 - Policy Development & Research Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.1 to the September 2015 Compendium is Tuesday 17 November 2015 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Budapest
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2015-11-17