Khartoum 40% and Darfur 60% | Sudan
Tittle: Area Coordinator (AC)
Location: Sudan (Khartoum 40% and Darfur 60%)
Reporting to: Country Director
Contract Duration:12 months
GOAL has worked in Sudan since 1985 responding to a wide range of humanitarian and developmental needs through the implementation of integrated activities of WASH, Primary Health Care, Nutrition, adult education and livelihoods. GOAL has been providing humanitarian assistance in Darfur, as well as Kassala, Blue Nile and Khartoum states.
General Description of the Role
The Area Coordinator (AC) is responsible, as the most senior field staff, for all GOAL program activities in the project location. The AC should have a good top-level knowledge and understanding of all activities in their location, in particular she/he must be aware of the constraints faced by their team and be actively working with their teams to manage these constraints and trouble shoot problems as they arise. Strong understating of political, security and humanitarian issues in the area of operations and provide leadership support as they arise.
Overall Objectives of the position
The AC is responsible for all activities at the program site; this responsibility covers the operational/support functions (Security, Human Resources, Logistics, Finance and Admin) and direct program activities (Primary Health Care, Nutrition, WASH, REFLECT, protection and mainstreaming Gender, child protection, environment and HIV) and includes representation, coordination, program planning, monitoring & evaluation and overseeing the day-to-day operations of senior field staff. The AC is also responsible for managing internal and external coordination with staff, local authorities, cluster, and other actors in the area respectively.
To ensure good management of GOAL’s program activities in the geographical location, the AC is responsible for ensuring that the programmes receive the maximum possible level of support from the Operational/Support functions. This will involve ensuring:
- Proper planning by the program departments to ensure program implementation is in accordance with the donor proposals;
- Good, timely coordination between the different program departments and Operational/Support functions;
- An understanding by all parties of the constraints faced by other departments;
- The efficient performance of the Operational/Support functions;
- If required the AC has a role to play resolving any conflicts between the different departments;
- Reasonable knowledge of safety and security management.
- Representation, Coordination and program planning;
- Oversee day-to-day operations of senior staff;
- Submit weekly, monthly and quarterly reports and provide inputs for donor reports and proposals;
- Coordination with the Government, UN and NGOs;
- Ensure the safety and security of the staff in the area of operation;
- Oversee HR issues in the project;
- Oversee finance department;
- Oversee Logistics department;
- Implement other tasks as identified by the CD.
Representation & External Coordination
- Relationships with open dialogue and mutual respect should be nurtured with all stakeholders. Meetings should include updates on the planned program direction, and understanding the concerns and promoting ownership of the program by the various stakeholders;
- Liaise with partners at state and locality level; attend all appropriate co-ordination/sectors meeting and share information regarding projects and security where relevant;
- Ensure good relations with HAC, NISS, MI and local authorities/line ministries, ensuring that GOAL remains impartial and neutral while responding to humanitarian crisis;
- Liaise with Ministry of Health, department of Nutrition, WES, education and other as needed at state and locality level on program delivery and quality;
- Accompany donor representatives and other official visitors, when requested to by the GOAL Country Director, and provide information as required.
The AC is automatically the Security Focal Point for their program site, and thus responsible for the safety of their team and at all times in a position to respond to a security incident.
Overseeing Security in the program site, including:
- Implementing GOAL’s Security Guidelines and Procedures;
- Periodically review of the site specific security guidelines;
- Ensure all office and accommodation meet basic security standards, including fire prevention, lockdown and evacuation procedures;
- Ensure that all staff are familiar with GOAL’s Security Guidelines and with the GOAL evacuation plan;
- Provide a security briefing to all staff/visitors arriving into the site for the first time;
- Monitor the security situation and provide regular informant to the CD/Security advisor of any incidents, changes or adverse conditions affecting staff safety or project operations in the region;
- The AC should have regular dialogue with the HAC, NS, UNDSS, NGO security focal point and field staff in the facilities concerning the current and expected security situation including threats and concerns.
- Weekly coordination meeting with the programming heads of department, combined with a robust schedule of site visits to ensure that the AC is familiar with the program activities;
- The AC responsibility is limited in the fact that the technical staff will provide technical direction and support for program activities. Technical responsibility for the program activities will always remain with the program coordinators in the program site (national health coordinator, AHM, WASH manager, REFLECT manager, CPCP manager etc) and in Khartoum (ACD Programmes, Health Co, WASH CO, CPCP Co, Nutrition Coordinator, REFLECT Co etc);
- The AC must be familiar with the Donor contracts and proposals related to their program site. They ought to be aware of the different activities and indicators contained in the proposals and on the progress made towards achieving those targets;
- The AC is responsible for ensuring that all visits successful. This involves receiving a ToR, and discussing the ToR upon arrival of the visitor, and facilitating contact to the relevant staff/etc where necessary;
- Monitor and audit payments made for trainings and for distributions and other day to day expenses;
- Ensure partnership with local organizations are in place as part of government and GOAL’s policy for Sudan. Coordinate with ACDP, Partnership Co and CD to ensure partnership policy is well implemented in program design.
Overseeing the Finance department in the program site, including:
- On a day to day basis managing the Financial system;
- Working with the Finance team to ensure that GOAL’s Financial Guidelines are adhered to at all times, reporting any breaches to the Financial Controller/ACD-S;
- Monthly review of spending and forecasting;
- Ensuring monthly BMT meeting are in place and staff actively participates;
- Weekly cash counts;
- Review of Cash book for reasonability of expenditure;
- Review of financial paper work to ensure all transactions are properly authorized and that all the requited supporting documentation is on file;
- Coordinating with the Financial Controller and/or Donor Compliance Officer;
- Ensuring that the Finance office provides the required support to programmes.
Overseeing the Logistical department in the programme site, to ensure all logistical requirements are provided in a timely and cost effective manner including:
- On a day to day basis managing field logistics team;
- Working with the field logistics team to ensure that GOAL’s logistical procedures are adhered to at all times, reporting any breaches to the Logistics Coordinator/ACD Operations;
- Coordinating with the Logistical Coordinator on issues related to Logistics;
- Ensuring that the Logistics Office provides the required support to programmes;
- Monitor and approved flight bookings under UNHAS at field level.
Overseeing HR issues in the programme site, including:
- Implementation of GOAL’s Sudan HR Manual;
- On a day to day basis managing the HR Field Officer;
- Ensure all new hires are properly authorized and contract of employment issued;
- Monitor and approve all R&R and annual leave. Ensure that an annual leave calendar is in place, and that the majority of annual leave is taken during the rainy season;
- Coordinating with the HR Coordinator on issues related to HR;
- Ensuring GOAL’s HIV/AIDS workplace policy is implemented;
- Ensuring that the HR office provides the required support to programmes;
- Ensure implementation of staff appraisals;
- The AC is responsible for ensuring that the day to day living and working conditions in their sites is of an acceptable standard or that plans are in place and communicated with the SMT;
- At least 5 years work experience at field coordination position;
- Experience in volatile security environment;
- Experience in program management;
- Good interpersonal and motivational skills;
- Experience liaising with governmental / local authorities and other NGO’s;
- Experience in managing staff safety and security requirements and good analytical skills of political and security situations;
- Good Logistics and Finance/Admin background;
- Working experience in Sudan particularly in Darfur is an advantage.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Khartoum 40% and Darfur 60% | Sudan
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2015-10-31