Procurement and Supply Chain Specialist (Fluency in French and English)
Bamako | Bamako
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Support Services**,**the primary role of Procurement and Supply Chain Specialist is to provide UNMAS Mali office with effective, efficient and timely delivery of procurement and supply chain services in order to obtain the best value for money and to achieved the planned projects results. He/she analyzes and interprets the procuremet & financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement & supply chain management.
The functions and services of the Procurement and Supply Chain Specialist include:
- Delivery support: ensures administration and implementation of the operational strategies and procedures related to procurement
- Procurement strategic planning including market research, quantification and budgeting;
- Facilitating knowledge building and sharing
He/she shall promote a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Delivery support: ensures administration and implementation of the operational strategies and procedures related to procurement
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies. Designing and implementing an effective monitoring system, internal controls for procurement processes, and establishing a client-oriented procurement management system.
- Overall responsibility for quality assurance of the project’s procured services and goods and safeguarding against procurement risks through well-planned activities
- Program procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and control of the workflows with regard to Procurement.
- Implementation of the strategic procurement in the program including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement.
- In coordination with the Project Managers and Contracts Management Officer, provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement in the Projects including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, e-procurement introduction.
- Audit focal point for procurement related issues.
Procurement planning including market research, quantification and budgeting;
- Timely preparation of procurement annual and quarterly plans for the projects and their implementation monitoring; implement a reporting mechanism on progress and status of procurement plans for the projects.
- Prepare and issue regular procurement progress reports in accordance with the approved plans. Identify in timely manner potential risks specific to delivery of procurement plans and advise mitigation measures to Head of Support Service and to the Program Management team.
- Propose the procurement strategy and issue tenders and contracts for goods, equipment and services.
- Analysis of requirements and synthesizing of proposals for cost-saving and reduction strategies.
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, develop criteria for evaluation process, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Review of procurement processes conducted by projects; submissions to the UNOPS Committees for reviews.
- Synthesis of proposals and implementation of contract management and strategy in the program, including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment.
- Management of e-procurement module; development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, assess quality of services and supplier performance.
- Management of procurement contracts and implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched and paid. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Coordinate and monitor timely delivery of goods and services.
Facilitating knowledge building and sharing
- Synthesizing of lessons learnt and keeping abreast of best practices in procurement and make recommendations for continuous process and policy improvements.
- During all phases of procurement cycle, provides expertise, policy and technical advice, ensures knowledge sharing among the supervisees, procurement staff and project managers.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Development of training and related training materials and promotes capacity development at HQ and the regional offices of the program.
- Exercise control of all staffing issues within the procurement team including recruitment, on-boarding and staff performance reviews.
- Develops effective working relationships including coaching, mentoring and evaluating staff in the local procurement unit.
- Promote and support a learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify critical learning needs and plan/provide easy access to learning opportunities to maintain personnel competency and flexibility.
- Leadership – Empowers others to translate vision into results.
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Planning and Organizing – Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
- C**ommunication**– Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view.
- Ability to work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines and often in a stressful environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to manage, organize, plan and implement work assignments, manage competing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
An advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Procurement, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Project Management or related subject with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. A first Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in a related field with 7 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at progressively management level within the Procurement and Supply Chain field of which at least three years should be direct first hand procurement experience.
- Stong experience in managing large and complex procurement of goods and services in large international organizations is required.
- Relevant experience in procurement planning; in risk analysis; in identifying clients’ procurement-related needs and in providing support and guidance from clients’ point of view is required
- Experience in supply chain and logistics operations is desirable.
- Knowledge of the UN Financial and Procurement Rules, Regulations and working practices pertaining to UNOPS is advantageous.
- Previous experience working in Mali is advantageous.
- Fluency in English and Intermediate level in French is required.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bamako | Bamako
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2015-10-20