Communications - Press Officer (Fluency in English and Arabic)
Dubai | Abu Dhabi
I.Description of the Department
Reports to:Communications and Marketing Manager
Location: Dubai, UAE
Under the direct supervision of the Communications and Marketing Manager, the Communications – Press Officer has specific accountability for making the medical and humanitarian action of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), and the UAE branch office of MSF known to the media, the general public, institutions, vendors and key persons or groups in the UAE and GCC. The Communications - Press Officer will support the organization’s communication objectives in terms of acceptance, visibility and fundraising.
III.Job Description – Summary of Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The Communications – Press Officer will assist in developing a communication strategy and associated work plan to get MSF humanitarian issues into the public domain and enhance MSF’s credibility and brand in the UAE and GCC.
- Reinforce support for MSF’s work by providing information to key audiences.
- Position MSF and the MSF UAE office as an example of MSF’s leadership in emergency response eg. Gaza, Ebola, Iraq, Syria, CAR etc.
- Assist in briefing the Executive Director, MSF expats, spokespersons and office staff on issues to address during media interviews.
§ Produce or assist in the production of communication materials in English and Arabic
The Communications - Press Officer will ensure that the MSF UAE office has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc. – and a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with identified media.
- Direct media relations – pitching, sending media materials, organizing and facilitating media interviews, briefings and conferences; and/or field visits, facts/figures, human interest story opportunities, photos etc.
- Distribute press releases and audio visual material in conjunction with MSF international communications network to media representatives and other persons who may be interested in learning about or covering MSF's work.
- Negotiate reduced rates for media spaces (print, TV, radio, web etc.) that highlight MSF’s work.
- Assist in the provision of media training of MSF-UAE spokespersons and subject matter experts.
- Brief/debrief field workers travelling through the country and identify internal and external communication opportunities in order to pitch stories to the media about their experience working with MSF.
- Suggest print, TV, radio online etc. channels that could be pertinent for MSF to consider.
§ Work with the Web and Digital Media Specialist to enhance MSF’s visibility across MSF UAE English and Arabic online platforms (Facebook, twitter, website, Instagram).
Campaign communications and Special events:
- Under the direction of the Communications and Marketing Manager, help define messaging of campaign communications.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of campaigns in the UAE.
- Assist in the management of high profile flagship campaigns that have potential in terms of raising visibility and funds.
- Represent the campaign at events and network with existing and potential partners.
- Act as key contact for external individuals, groups, institutions, health entities etc. interested in organizing events on behalf of MSF, or interested in having MSF representation at an event.
- Occasionally serve as a public representative at events.
- Collaborate with colleagues from other MSF-UAE departments to plan and implement MSF-UAE strategy to communicate key MSF messages to the UAE public and media at large
- Contribute to the Department’s efforts to ensure that MSF UAE work, issues and requirements are clearly understood within the movement
- Undertake other activities as may be required by the Communications and Marketing Manager.
- Experience in media relations, public relations or working in the Communications department of an NGO or in journalism
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Arabic
- Good understanding of media in the region, particularly Gulf based media
- Communications/Journalism or related degree preferred
- Previous experience working or volunteering with MSF a strong asset
- Possess a constant active view of national and international current events
- Knowledge of media monitoring and research tools
- Good interpersonal and intercultural skills, an excellent team player
- Able to**work autonomously**and**implement**an action plan
- Takes initiatives and is well organized
- Capacity, adaptability, flexibility and willingness to work out-of-hours and weekends at short-notice.
- Package: between 20,000 to 22,000 AED/month ; comprehensive regional health insurance ; annual flight ticket ; 30 day holidays .
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of this position and not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities and duties. Accordingly, the responsibilities and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in this Job Description and the other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job due to the organizational and operational needs.
Please submit your cover letter and updated CV
noting your NAME with VACOMO-0915 in the subject field
before September 30th, 2015.*
Kindly note ONLY shortlisted applicants will be contacted after the submission deadline.*
- Organization: MSF - Médecins Sans Frontières
- Location: Dubai | Abu Dhabi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2015-09-30