Area Coordinator (Syria Based) - Fluency in Arabic and English
Idlib | Damascus
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2012, responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities. GOAL is working in Idlib Governate, in close coordination with local partners, delivering food, non-food and cash voucher programming to highly vulnerable populations, and has expanded programme sectors to include the provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) to those most in need.
General Description of the Role:
To provide leadership and effective management oversight of GOAL’s Programme in Syria, This includes the overall supervision of the operations and programme as well as the direct management of the operational base in Syria. The Area Coordinator will ensure effective representation of GOAL to local authorities, communities, INGOs and NGOS, and other stakeholders,
Key Objectives of the Role:
- Responsible for the overall oversight of safety and security of GOAL staff in GOAL’s AoR in Idleb, Syria, closely coordinating with the Country Director and the GOAL Syria Safety and Security Advisor.
- Ensuring communication of and adherence to GOAL procedures and policies and donor compliance
- Coordinating the delivery of Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL), vouchers, Non Food Items (NFI) and WASH programs with accurate reporting to donors and stakeholders
- Close coordination with donors, other NGOs and various authorities in Idleb
- Contribute to strengthening co-ordination and collaboration within and across programme teams and operations, ensuring constructive communication, building team morale (within individual teams and within the whole area team) and the development of a positive working environment.
- Conduct regular meetings with the field team to enhance information sharing among Field Team members and ensure effectiveness of operations.
- Be responsible for security and safety of GOAL personnel and resources in Syria including participatory development and implementation of the Country Security Management Plan.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the relevant local authorities and key stakeholders
- Report any security threats and incidents to the Country Director.
- Coordinate with the security department to ensure that staff are trained in, and comply, to security procedures and protocols at all times.
- Support the ACDP and Programme Coordinators based in Antakya in developing and managing a high quality and responsive program for the IDP and host communities in Idleb, ensuring this is informed by the needs and priorities of targeted communities and appropriate need assessments;
- Ensure that GOAL adheres to best international standards;
- Ensure good coordination between programme, finance and support teams and that transport, logistics and other support requirements are clearly and timely communicated by Programme Managers and that appropriate planning and communication systems in place to support the smooth delivery of programme activities.
- Make recommendations to improve the quality of programming that shows an impact on the Beneficiaries
Support Function Management:
- With and supervising the Field Logistics Manager, ensure there is a strong supply chain management in place that is compliant to GOAL’s logistic and procurement policies
- With and supervising the Senior Finance Officer, ensure that all financial procedures are in line with the GOAL Finance Manual and donor requirements
- With and supervising the Senior HR Officer, plan for HR needs and ensure that all HR matters are carried out in line with the HR Manual and donor requirements
- Work closely with GOAL Syria SMT to ensure controls, risk mitigation and compliance procedures are in place and that GOAL’s anti-fraud, corruption and whistleblowing policies are implemented and adhered to
- Lead the Field Management Team in ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of field operations and ensure that programme plans are clearly prioritized and communicated to the support team effectively.
- Represent GOAL at all relevant meetings that relate to the host and IDP community
- Engage with other NGOs, Local Councils and UN and ensure that all agencies are aware of GOAL’s activities and that planning is coordinated to avoid duplication and maximise impact
- When security conditions allows, attend donor meetings and accompany donors on monitoring visits to GOAL’s areas of operation in Syria.
- Ensure that Turkey based Programme Co-ordinators have up-to-date information in order to represent the Syria programme in Turkey
- Liaise with relevant local authorities.
- Help identify learning needs for GOAL’s team and assist in the organization of training sessions for staff, partners, local authorities and community members.
- Ensure that all field staff have a clear understanding of organizational goals, priorities and policies, and that is reflected in programme planning, implementation and staff conduct
- Any other duties as assigned by the Country Director
Requirements (Person Specification):
- Ability to travel between Syria and turkey
- At least 5 years previous experience in managing large projects
- Experience working with NGOs and an understanding of humanitarian principles and international standards for humanitarian work.
- Graduated with minimum Bachelor’s degree or that by experience. Additional qualifications such as PMD Pro qualified or similar qualification in project management an advantage.
- Fluent in spoken and written Arabic and English
- Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to positively represent an organisation at a senior level to community and key stakeholders
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to sensitively and effectively manage staff disputes and any local stakeholder issues with GOAL
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Strong planning , budgeting, and report writing skills
- Ideally has experience of working with NGO donors
- Excellent team player and ability to develop good team morale
- Good computer knowledge including the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Enthusiastic and keen to work extra hours to achieve the objectives of the programme
- Flexible and resourceful and able to deal with sudden changes in the context and in priorities
please apply in English by sending your up-to-date CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that the job title and location of the role are clearly stated in the subject line of your email/letter. Thank you for your interest.
Only shortlisted candidates will be Contacted.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to a reference check. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications equally from both men and women.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Idlib | Damascus
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2015-09-30