Technical Specialist / Hydrologist
Bangkok | Bangkok
The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), established in 1986, is a regional non-profit foundation with headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand supporting the advancement of safer communities and sustainable development, through implementing programs that reduce the impact of disasters upon countries and communities in Asia and the Pacific. The primary geographical focus of ADPC’s activities is Asia with the South, South East and East Asia being the primary sub-regions.
ADPC has more than 29 years of working experience in Asia along with the national and local Government of its charter member countries as well as countries of the Regional Consultative Committee (RCC) on Disaster Management. ADPC works to build preparedness at all levels, from regional, to national, sub-national and even to individual communities. Further details on ADPC and its programs can be found at www.adpc.net
Statement of Intent:
Technical Specialist / Hydrologist will be responsible for providing project management and technical support for hydrological and hydraulic modeling under CCCRM directed by Department Head.
It is not the intent of this Position Description to cover every aspect of the position requirements, rather to highlight the most important areas of personal and joint responsibility.
Required Qualifications/ Selection Criteria:
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in hydrology, hydrologic modeling or associated field.
- Recent hands-on experience with hydrological and/or hydraulic modeling is essential; knowledge of/experience with Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Risk Management, and/or Climate Change will be an advantage.
- At least 7 years relevant experience with 4-5 years in the fields of hydrology; flood hazard mapping, risk assessment, and/or setting up flood early warning systems. A good understanding of early warning information dissemination to vulnerable sectors and communities will be an advantage.
- Ability to develop Decision Support Systems (DSSs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and Concept of Operations (CONOPs) for effective dissemination of flood early warnings to communities at risk will be an added advantage.
- Experience in project design, management and implementation of flood risk management related projects.
- Experience in managing other scientists in project implementation.
- Experience in training, capacity building and capacity development in the above mentioned fields.
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication, presentation, and report writing (English language fluency required).
- Proven analytical skills; self-confident; a creative problem-solver; willingness to work hard and undertake new challenges.
- Proven proficiency in scientific analysis and producing peer-reviewed publications. Proven record of productive engagement and collaboration with other scientists.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team-oriented work style, interest and experience in working in a multi-cultural and international context.
- Familiarity with proprietary and open source software for spatial analysis and data management. Essential computer skills include LINUX and Windows operating systems, Experience with graphical visualization software such as Grads, NCL, Vis5D, etc. an added advantage.
- Willingness to travel under sometimes adverse conditions.
- Represent ADPC to the highest of professional and scientific standards at all times.
- Operate within all ADPC Guidelines & Procedures / Policies.
- Provide ongoing internal capacity building, training, and development to ADPC staff as required
- Contribute to the formulation of an M&E plan and annual work plans for the CCCRM Department.
- Provide inputs to strategic planning process and marketing plans for CCCRM and ADPC.
- Foster the one ADPC concept across the organization through
- Program delivery,
- Resource allocation,
- Shared accountability, and
- Inter-departmental collaboration
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and/or refine detailed knowledge of the “state of play” in the areas of hydrology/hydraulic-related modeling, decision support systems, and early warning systems in ADPC client countries including understanding information, systems, and capacity-building needs. Draw on personal professional network, scientific literature, and other professional sector-specific resources to remain up-to-date on relevant developments in this field. Be prepared to advise the CCCRM team and other ADPC units on this information as necessary.
- Design flood risk management projects as per clients / donors requirements.
- Manage and implement flood risk management and related projects with other team members.
- Build, refine, customize, and otherwise provide technical inputs into hydrological and hydraulic models, flood hazard assessments (covering various types of flood events), decision support systems, and early warning systems for ADPC and partner organizations and agencies.
- Plan, coordinate, and lead capacity building activities related to hydrological and hydraulic models for ADPC partner organizations and agencies.
- Understand and contribute to further defining and developing the role of hydrology, hydraulics, and river system-related work within ADPC and with partner institutions.
- Assist in developing strategic approach to achieving program goals and ensuring the sustainability of climate risk management and climate change adaptation programs undertaken by ADPC.
- Assist in increasing program relevance, impact, and effectiveness of ADPC’s CCCRM and especially hydrology-related work through the development of new programs, advocacy for mainstreaming, fundraising, enhancing existing partnerships, and developing new partnerships.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director/ Directors /Department Heads.
- Reports directly to the Department Head of Climate Change and Climate Risk Management (CCCRM);
- Works closely with other staff of ADPC.
One (1) year contract with possibility of extension.
Deadline for submission 20 September 2015
Interested Candidates, please submit the completed ADPC application form,
(downloadable from www.adpc.net),
resume, copy of diploma(s) and certificate(s) together with a cover letter, to email@example.com or
Human Resources and Administration
979/69, 24th Floor
SM Tower, Paholyothin Road
Samsen Nai, Phayathai
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Organization: ADPC - Asian Disaster Preparedness Center
- Location: Bangkok | Bangkok
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Disaster Management
- Closing Date: 2015-09-18