Value Chain Specialis - Economist
Dhaka | Dhaka
We are seeking an experienced, pro‐active and results‐oriented Value Chain Specialist/Economist to develop and implement a strategic socio‐economic research-for-development (R4D) agenda in South Asia. The selected candidate will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team to sustainably intensify cereal-based cropping systems and improve the livelihoods of cereal farmers and consumers in the densely populated and poverty stricken lower Gangetic plains (Bangladesh, eastern India). The Specialist/Economist will especially research opportunities for input and output value chain development – including service provision models for sustainable intensification options; wheat/maize value chain and marketing issues; and implications for technology adoption and -adaptation, scaling, and enhanced social inclusiveness.
The selected candidate will be based at CIMMYT Dhaka Office, Bangladesh, but will travel frequently within country and to other regions where CIMMYT is involved in similar projects (India, Nepal, Africa and Mexico). You will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Socio‐Economics Program in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s Sustainable Intensification and other programs and with local and international partners in relation to the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (CSISA). The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Assess input value chain development options for the sustainable intensification of cereal-based cropping systems in the lower Gangetic plains (Bangladesh, eastern India), including mechanization service provision models and public-private partnerships.
- Assess wheat/maize value chain and marketing issues, and how to match the supply with the increasing demand for both quantity and specific qualities.
- Assess implications of value chain development options for technology adoption, -adaptation, -scaling, and enhanced social inclusiveness.
- Build an exciting research-for-development portfolio around the above three intervention areas, including for instance targeting options and tools; technological and institutional innovations; business models and development strategies; empirical evidence particularly in relation to adaptation, adoption and impact; practical recommendations and rigorous documentation.
- Assist monitoring, evaluation and learning (ME&L) by providing advice on rapid monitoring, surveying, and interpretation of results.
- Publish findings in international peer reviewed journals.
- Assist in resource mobilization and project/CIMMYT-Bangladesh management as and when required.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- PhD in social sciences, e.g. agricultural economics, development economics, or a related field from a recognized institution.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in applied agricultural research-for-development in developing countries, preferably with experience in South Asia.
- Good partnership and teamwork skills, and experience in leading research teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A high degree of personal organization and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure, as well as travel extensively.
- Ability to work with different nationalities, disciplines and educational levels, as a member of a diverse work team.
- Established publication record in international peer reviewed journals.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online for 15828 Value Chain Specialist/Economist. Screening and follow up of applications will start on Monday, 7 September 2015. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
For further information on the selection process, please contact Daniel Ixtla, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Organization: CIMMYT - International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
- Location: Dhaka | Dhaka
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2015-09-30