Security Officer (National Position), Kirkuk - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, and emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors. NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the officer position is to implement NRC’s safety and security policies at area office level and conduct regular security and risk assessments to identify safety and security needs in all NRC Erbil office, Guest houses and operational areas.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Train staff in safety and security and provide regular briefings and updates
- Facilitate staff evacuation in emergency situations
- Ensure that minimum operating security standards and procedures are implemented in the office;
- Ensure vehicle and staff movements are monitored according to procedures and that necessary safety and security equipment are available and in good condition
- Prepare security updates and reports as required
- Conduct security risk assessments of new areas, locations, premises in Erbil and reports to the Area Manager and CSFP
- Line Management of Security assistant- Movcon; ensure capacity building of security assistant-Movcon.
- Proactively contact members of this information network to collect information on security in order to provide advice to the AM and CSFP on day to day security issues;
- Immediately report all breaches of safety and security procedures and all threats to NRC staff, beneficiaries, activities or assets
- Maintain location boards tracking NRC office staff and vehicles
- Alert AM, CSFP (Country Security Focal Point) to important events, from monitoring internet, news in English and local languages, as well as via security alert systems
- Maintain close vigilance on the local political and military situation in the region and keep the AM informed on regular basis
- Ensure implementation of security systems and procedures
- Liaise with the logistics, transport and programme teams during field visits.
- Responsible for security assessments in NRC operational areas/ fields.
- Perform Security Assistant-MOVCON duties while he is on leave or on travel
- Fulfill any other related tasks that may be assigned by the AM or the CSFP
- Experience from working as a Security Officer in a humanitarian/ UN context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Fluency in English, Arabic and Kurdish
- In-country experience in cultural awareness, community – NGO relationships
- Experience in liaising with civilian and military government authorities as well as with regional, national and international institutions preferable.
- Analytical skills and experience;
- Awareness of gender and culture issues
- Proven communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of the political situation in KRI-Iraq
- Political science
- Military studies / Armed Forces
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Planning and delivering results
- Handling insecure environments
- The post will be for 12 months contract duration (with possible extension). The salary starts from IQD 2,535,366 with health insurance.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Kirkuk
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Security and Safety
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-01-24