Education Team Leader - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
“111,930 people benefitted from NRC Shelter programmes in 2015”
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
The NRC Jordan education programme will work on issues of access and quality in order to exact change and provide services to refugee girls and boys and host community boys and girls. At the access level NRC will provide additional teaching and learning spaces and classrooms, (with accompanying extended WASH facilities), at both camp and host community level. At the quality level NRC will work to ensure that children in NRC run learning centers, the camp schools into which they transition and the host community schools and learning centers that they can attend enjoy better quality and more tailored services and provide a protective environment. This will be achieved by augmenting existing services and expanding their targets and remits as well as ensuring teaching standards are raised and that the community is involved in and supportive of children’s education. This will include phases of community outreach, using community mobilizers to engage parents and to help them support their children’s education. In camps this will include the expansion of ‘walking routes’ or other community-based initiatives to support children safety accessing learning sites.
- Provides direction, assigns tasks and gives instructions to staff, specifies their individual work plans and evaluates individual team members performance.
- Supports assigned staff in their professional development, identifies training needs, supports staff to achieve the objectives defined in their learning development plans.
- Monitors the progress of the team activities and ensures they are implemented conform planning, quality standards, budget and (donor ) guidelines.
- Develops with the assigned team, Quarterly activity plans.
- Ensures compliance with NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Ensure that projects activities target the needs of beneficiaries, explores and asses new and better ways to meet their needs.
- Represent NRC, liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and/or stakeholders.
- Overall responsibility for all site level activities
- Implement policy and implementation synergies with other CCs and agencies at site level
- Develop monthly activity and work plan in site
- Represent at camp level WGs as delegated by PC
- Focal point for site visits.
- Represent with external/internal visitors to site, donors, and partners
- Identify capacity building needs of staff through HR processes.
- Advise PC on capacity building needs and opportunities.
- Focal point for staff capacity building of staff at site
- Inform programme development (focus on needs and opportunities) at site level, with strong basis in M&E
- Prepare monthly reports on site activities
- Ensure M&E correctly conducted and reported
- Supervise budget lines for site (according to signing authority among)
- Delegates tasks for procurement and stock management
- Overall supervision of implementation at site level, use of monthly work and activity plan
- Direct line management as stipulated by organogram
- Overall supervision of implementation staff
- Liaison with TSOs on teacher performance for contracts
- Ensure proper documentation and information security of all activities including teachers’ time sheets, contracts, student records, referral records.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate with a minimum of 2 years previous experience in relevant field. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, knowledge about own leadership skills profile, core competence expertise and fluency in English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels and communicating with impact and respect.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: Through 31st of December 2017
Salary/benefits: 1347 JOD
Duty station: Azraq Camp
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location on your application.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Amman
- Grade: Mid level
- Education and Training
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-01-18